Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Podcast in ESL Teaching and Learning

Evaluating podcasts from student’s point of view:


http://www.eslpod.com/website/show_all.php

This website offers podcasts in English for EFL/ESL learners who want to improve their English through a variety of interesting listening activities. Learners are able to find complete transcripts of the podcasts, definitions, sample sentences, comprehension questions, additional explanations, cultural notes, podcast newsletter, and information on new products and services.

As a non-native speaker of English, I think that it is really important to learn English how it is really spoken. The podcasts in this website are focused on real, current English. Moreover, the authors of the podcasts attract students’ attention by using various styles and exciting topics.

I did not focus on evaluating just one podcast because I think that all podcasts in this website are great.

Evaluating podcasts from teacher’s point of view:

http://www.eslpod.com/website/flash_player.php?issue_id=8091548

I think that using this podcast in an ESL classroom is a positive way to enhance language acquisition. First, students are exposed to an authentic input. Second, the topic used for this podcast is relevant. Third, the language is comprehensible and the target words are repeated many times. Finally, the podcasts is fun, educational, and as interactive as possible.

http://www.eslteachertalk.com/

This website could be used by current or future teachers. It offers podcasts and other instructional materials for ESL teachers. The podcasts address topics such as classroom management, lesson planning advice, and job search tips. Each podcast contains a game or activity that you can use in your lessons with supporting downloads and materials. As a teacher, I find this website extremely helpful.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Miglena. I am interested in your positive review of the eslpod site because my reaction was actually the opposite. I felt that while the range of topics and the topics themselves were excellent that the podcasts were too long and (frankly) dull and overly repetitive. However, after hearing your position view, I'll revisit the site and look at it from another perspective. Perhaps my own biases as an English L1 speaker got in the way of my assessment of this site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit that I had a similar reaction to the ESL podcast site as Bill did although I definitely agree with a lot of your points. I only listened to a few, but I agree that the topics are fairly relevant and they do a great job of going over more difficult vocabulary words and target points. I think my biggest complaint is the length. I think if there was video attached, it would be alright, but listening to something for 20 to 25 minutes is a long time. I guess if you were using it in the classroom, you wouldn't have to have them listen to the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the podcasts are longer than what an ESL instructor may use in the classroom but this is a wonderful opportunity for ESl learners to listen to an authentic language at their own pace and time.

    ReplyDelete